Colwills ident


Property Subject to Mortgage
You need to obtain your mortgage lenders agreement to the letting of your property and inform us of any special clauses they stipulate.

Notify your insurance company that you intend to let the property and ensure that the insurance cover on the building and/or contents is sufficient and current, especially public liability.

Gas Safety Certificate
If you let a property, you must make sure that pipe work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition. You need to have a gas safety check every year, carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer and you must give your tenants a copy of the gas safety record within 28 days of it being carried out or before they move in. You are also obliged to show your tenants how they can turn off the gas supply in the event of a gas leak.

Electrical Inspections
It is the Landlord’s legal duty to ensure that a property is safe. If anyone is injured by any faulty electrical appliance owned by the Landlord or by an electrical circuit, then it would be the Landlord’s duty to prove that the appliance or circuit was safe. Colwills strongly recommend that the Landlord has all electrical appliances and circuits certified by a suitably qualified electrician who will issue a Certificate; further inspections must take place at least every 5 years. We can assist in arranging this with our preferred contractors.

Energy Performance Certificate
An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) has to be completed on all rental properties and we can arrange for this to be carried out. Once issued this certificate is valid for ten years. If you already have one, or are instructing someone else to carry one out, please forward us a copy.

Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) Safety Regulations 1988
All soft furnishings must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) Safety Regulations 1988 and be fire safety compliant; look for the fire safety label on all furnishings. For further information visit Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide Alarms The 1991 Building Regulations require that all properties built since June 1992 must be fitted with mains operated interlinked smoke detectors/alarms on each floor. Such regulations regarding older properties do not exist, but we strongly recommend that smoke alarms are fitted in all let properties. If your property has gas appliances then it is advisable to install a Carbon Monoxide alarm. Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous, odourless gas; a silent killer, but its presence can easily and cheaply be detected with an alarm.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme
As part of the Housing Act 2004 the Government introduced the Tenancy Deposit Protection for all assured shorthold tenancies (ASTs) in England and Wales where a deposit is taken. From April 6th 2007, all deposits paid under an AST have had to be protected within 14 calendar days of receipt by the landlord. The Tenancy Deposit Scheme, of which we are a member, is administered by:- The Tenancy Deposit Protection Service, The Pavilions, Bridgewater Road, Bristol, BS13 8AE. T: 08707071707 E: Website:

Exclusion of Liability
Colwills shall not be responsible to the landlord in respect of any damage, costs, claims or liability whatsoever arising from the property failing to be safe and/or being in breach of any statutory or local rules and regulations affecting the property.

🍪 Cookie notice

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to use our site, you are confirming acceptance of these cookies.

Accept cookies